Guadalajara

Guadalajara
Pan Am Games

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The city of Topes...

I learned that speedbumps are called 'topes' and they are EVERYWHERE. I'm still trying to figure out why. One would think that the incredible amount of pot holes would be enough to slow a car down but apparently the combination of the two make the roads a safer place.
Even with the roads, I went on a bus adventure the other day and didn't even get lost :) I was very proud. I'm loving this country! The people are amazing, there's chaos everywhere, there are bright colors all over the place... it has been so much fun!
These last 3 days have been whirlwinds! My days went from 9:30am-10/11pm. I was able to go to 3 of the universities that I played at last time I was here and it brought back some great memories. I even recognize some of the girls and was able to reconnect with them after not seeing them for a long time.
I've been observing some of my co-workers give team talks from a book called, "17 Essential
Qualities of Being a Team Player." On most of these campuses, you can't share anything about spirituality during practices because of the seperation of church and state. These talks give us a chance to meet with the girls and talk about things that they can really apply to their sports. I've been working with the soccer team at UDLAP and the basketball team at UMAD. Tonight we had a group meeting with the basketball team where they were able to get to know each other better because they've been struggling with issues internally as a team. I've been pairing up with one of my co-workers who is awesome. She's been working with these teams before I got here so I'm just joining the party already in progress.
At first it's definitely awkward to show up at practices and have everyone wonder why you're
there, but it's getting easier as I get to know some of the girls. Please pray that the coach at UMAD will let me practice with them as a way to get to know the girls better. He's pretty hard to read but we've seemed to have hit it off pretty well so far.
This is such a unique and obscure job all at the same time. So much of it is just showing up, being available and willing to do whatever and searching for doors that God opens. It's also an amazing job!!! Meeting people, praying for them, watching God move, playing basketball, speaking Spanish, eating legit Mexican food whenever I want... what's not to love?
I haven't taken any pictures yet... mostly because I can't remember anything so my camera gets left behind. I PROMISE I WILL DO BETTER AT PICTURES AND SEND THEM OUT FOR PEOPLE TO SEE. Hold me to it, please.
I feel like there's so much more to tell you guys. I'll do better at posting more often so I don't
forget as many things! Thank you for all your prayers and support! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment