Guadalajara

Guadalajara
Pan Am Games

Monday, January 16, 2012

Fun news

The other day, the coach at Tec (the basketball team Yost and I are practicing with) asked if I wanted to be his volunteer pseudo assistant coach and to sit on their bench during home games and help with the team and help control him (his words, not mine). He also said that he's working on trying to get permission for us to travel with the team for their away games!! How sweet would that be?? There was so much foundation laid before I even got here that those who came before me made my job easy :) Thanks to all those people!! They have an away game on Friday but he still hasn't gotten the official OK from administration so it's a no-go on this weekend but we'll see what the future holds!
I also gave my first talk to the volleyball team at UDLAP last Friday. We did an activity on enthusiasm and the girls did really well. They had to build a sculpture using a random assortment of things that I gave them and then describe how that sculpture represents their team spirit/enthusiasm. One group did an awesome job (they definitely won). I'll put the pictures up and let you guess which team won... shant be hard ;) After the talk/activity I talked with their coach because I noticed that the assistant coach and the head coach were stepping in to play because their numbers were low. So, naturally I asked him if I could play if they ever needed extra people and he said yes!!! I'm stoked! I'm praying that this could open doors for this team because they're definitely more reserved and shut down than the Tec team. These are the girls that are somehow SUPER interested in their phones as soon as you start talking. The timing is just crazy! I'm excited to see what happens. Hopefully he wasn't just saying yes to humor me so I would leave him alone... wouldn't be the first time that has happened in my life ;)
Tomorrow is our team night (dinner and games at our house) with the Tec team then Wednesday for the UDLAP girls!! Our doors are opening!!! Last night we had 2 basketball girls from UMAD over and it was a ton of fun. One of them has a pet duck... I didn't even know that was possible. Right after we finished dinner and they had left, we went to go wash the dishes (which was EVERY dish we owned) and turns out, this side of town ran out of water. Yep, you heard it, we ran out of water. So, this afternoon when we got back from practice we had some again. Never again will I take running water for granted.
Please be praying... Mary, one of my roommates, hasn't been feeling well at all these last couple days and is going to the doctor tomorrow. Pray against this sickness and spiritual warfare because doors are starting to open with her at UDLAP basketball. Be praying for our team nights too please! I'll keep you posted on how they go. Love you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment