Guadalajara

Guadalajara
Pan Am Games

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A home is where your heart is...

I really hope that saying is true, "A home is where your heart is" because right now, our heart is the ONLY thing in our new apartment. We've officially moved in, however, we don't have beds, couch, chairs, a table, dressers, or anything other type of essencial furniture that most homes have. However, we have walls, a ceiling, food, and bathrooms so all in all, we're doing pretty well. Our fridge showed up today. Things are funny here because they'll tell you a day that they're delivering your stuff but my next question is always, "What time will you bring it?" Their response, "Sometime between 9 am and 9 pm." Awesome. I forget that time and agendas don't exist here. I'm slowly learning. Our beds were supposed to come today but they called and said that they won't be here until next week. This is all just one big adventure. I'll put pictures up when we get everything set up. I'm super excited to be able to start inviting a lot of the girls over and have this be a safe place for them to come and just hang out and just be. That's part of my vision for this trip is to provide a place and friendship for these girls to retreat to. Please be praying for that.
One of the amazing parts about this apartment is that there's a fantastic view of 2 of the volcanoes; Popocatépetl and Iztaccíhuatl (good luck). There's a 3rd volcano and it's called La Malinche but you can't see it from our house. There's a couple different stories that go with Popo and Izta. They're all sort of a Romeo and Juliet type stories. Izta was a princess and Popo was a warrior.
I gave a team talk today with the Tec basketball team and we wrote out team goals and how they're going to achieve those goals. It went well. We've been focusing a lot on values and really being intentional on figuring out what our values really are. Some of them have really put a lot of thought into it... some, not so much. I've been having some great conversations with a lot of girls. I'm going to start meeting with a couple of them 1-on-1 soon because some of them have English tests that they want to practice for. I'm looking at it as an open door to really get to know their heart. Little do they know that I don't even speak English very well but God will use that time.
Tomrorow we're going to spend Thanksgiving with a group of about 50 people and I'm in charge of cooking a ham. Again, little do these people know how lost I am in a kitchen. Pray that it's edible by the time I'm done with it. I hope you all have a fantastic Thanksgiving!! I'm gradually putting up pictures for you all to see! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment