Guadalajara

Guadalajara
Pan Am Games

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Multiplication

There's another college ministry in Puebla called "El Pozo" or "The Well" that is also known as "La Casa Verde" or the "Green House." We've gotten to know the staff there and have started some great relationships since we go every week and invite all our athletes to their weekly meeting. I hate it when ministries compete for people..... it doesn't make sense but it happens all the time. I digress. Anyway, they had a Thanksgiving party on Thanksgiving (obviously) and planned enough food for 120 students. 230 students came AND THE FOOD DIDN'T RUN OUT!!!! They weren't skimping on the portions either. On the contrary, they were filling up plates and the food ran out when the last person was served. Bread and fish anyone?? Isn't that nuts? I love that story.
This is a crazy full week and I'm starting to get a cold. It could be because it's 7 degrees in our house in the morning and at night and 300 degrees during the day. Or that I haven't gone to sleep before 12:30 yet this week. My plan is to just drink a TON of water and sleep. I heard a rumor that if you go to the doctor here, they give you a shot.... no matter what. My friend told me he went to the doctor for a sprained ankle and they gave him a shot in the butt. Why you ask? Great question but I'm not about to find out.
Today we went to jail. There's a baseball player at one of the universities and became a Christian within the last year. He's a really good friend of our team leaders, John and Natalie. They've been visiting him regularly but today we went with them to let our friend know that we're still supporting him. It was awesome! All the men in there were really polite and just excited to have people in there. They served us coffee and taught us how to play a board game that they play in there alot. At first, I didn't know what to excpect since there was a big group of white folk (of which 5 of the 6 were female) going into the all male jail, and now I can't wait to go back. Our friend was talking about how he's been reading the Bible a lot and, having a lot of time on his hands, has really been able digest and think about it. He said it's been giving him so much peace and his faith is really growing.
We went to 2 girls basketball games in the last 2 days against rivals. It's interesting to watch these games because I don't ever know who to cheer for since we work with girls from both teams. After the game yesterday I was walking outside by myself and just reflecting on what I've been doing the last 2 months and realized, I'm so incredibly thankful for my life right now and the friendships that I've made in such a short time. You know those moments when you such all the sudden get really happy? That's what happened yesterday.
On Friday, Katie and I are going to play on a club team in a city about 45 minutes from here. It'll hopefully become a regular thing. We're playing with one of the girls that was on our team when we came last time (crazy how those connections just pick right back up where they left off). Then on Saturday we're going to help with a little kids basketball camp and then playing in a softball game. I'll definitely keep you posted on how it goes.
I hope you're all doing great and enjoying ALMOST December, which means, almost Christmas. I'll be home for Christmas so I'll hopefully see you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment