Guadalajara

Guadalajara
Pan Am Games

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Let the games begin....

I could've sworn that I still had the energy of a 12 year old and could run and jump and play for days on end.... that's until you throw me in a city that sits at 7,000 ft. elevation. It's getting easier though. I've officially completed 2 days of practice after both coaches were really adamant about making sure that I had been working out regularly and I wasn't going to pass out on their watch. I'm just fine during the workouts and the scrimmages, it's that blasted aftermath of the whole thing.
I digress... It has been so much fun being able to play agian... despite my whining. The girls at Tec de Monterrey are some of the nicest girls. They're going through a little streak where they're struggling to win so it's interesting just to hear some of their conversations on what they think the problem is or whether or not they care, etc. They don't have games until January becuase they basically have 2 different seasons. They go from August-November playing games, then from January-May hoping to make it to the Final 4 tournament. There are 3 different levels or divisons and your record of the previous season determines which divison you'll be in. 1st is the most competitive down to 3rd which is pretty weak. The girls team is in the 2nd division and, as of right now, have a 9-5 record. At least all of that is what I understood. It's all completely different down here so I'm learning step by step. I'll be working and practicing with this team 4 times a week and then be with the volleyball team on Fridays.
I was able to go to lunch with about half the team today after practice and get to know them a little bit better. They're a fun group. They're the kind of girls who while we're in the middle of lifting and there's music going on in the weight room, they're dancing in between sets and singing/trying to sing in English. It's going to be a ton of fun!
Our apartment will be ready November 21!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my other teammates will be here on Thursday to start working with us and will also be my roommate along with the third teammate who will be here in January. Please keep both of them in your prayers both for travel and for support raising.
Tonight we're going to the Casa Verde which is another college ministy in Cholula (about 20 minutes from Puebla). There they have a Young Life Club type set up with all college kids. There's worship, videos, skits, games, a talk, and dinner. There's always a pretty good turnout and we've been talking with the staff that works there about partnering ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment